DauntlesslyDivergent

Jenn's Book Reviews

Hello lovelies! You can either call me Jenn or Jay, which ever you like. I'm a Canadian college student, currently studying Photography. I'm an avid book reader & writer, spending most of my free time either reading, writing or taking artistic photographs. Visit my other blog http://dauntlesslydivergent.wordpress.com/

REVIEW - Living Dead in Dallas by Charlaine Harris

First thing I must mention is that, if you’ve watched season 1 of True Blood on HBO before reading this, heads up it’s pretty much exactly the same. I had a really hard time actually making a dent in the book because of this. Once you get past this book and season 1, True Blood becomes an AU compared to the books (the further you get into the seasons of True Blood, the further away it strays from the story line in the books).

Dead Until Dark is the first installment in the long thirteen book series, none including the novellas, The Southern Vampire Mysteries, or more affectionately know as the Sookie Stackhouse Series. With the novellas, this series goes from thirteen to thirty three, with some novellas have multiple stories from multiple authors, and others surrounding only Sookie written by Charlaine Harris. The entire series is told from the point of view of the main character, Sookie Stackhouse.

Dead Until Dark introduces our lovely heroine, Sookie Stackhouse, whom you follow on all the crazy things that happen on the little town Bon Temps (french for Good Times) Louisiana. Sookie, a young adult, isn’t your average human. She’s telepathic, she can read minds of everyone but vampires. Strangely enough, after her first encounter with Bon Temps very own, Vampire Bill, Sookie learns that she doesn’t hear a sound coming from his mind, that it’s so silent, it’s like she’s finally become normal. Only one year prior, vampires had ‘come out of the coffin’, which was the term used for the undead admitting their existence to the public all around the world. Through Sookie’s journey of meeting vampires and coping with her telepathy, you’ll see her fall in love with one of the undead, have one to many near death experiences, while she struggles to clear her brother’s name, lose one of her closest family members, and try to keep herself alive while staying out of the path of the local serial killer, who’s after women involved with vampires.

As I mentioned above, it took me quite a while to make a dent in this novel, mainly because of it’s similarities to the show. Before I had finally read this novel, I had picked it up & put it down multiple times, always more interested in watching the TV show, which I had on DVD, rather then reading the book, they where just too similar.
I’ll admit, it took my whole two weeks of christmas break to read this novel, but once I had finished, I realized just how much I did enjoy the story, in the end. I didn’t give it the highest of ratings, a 3 out of 5 stars, because of how long it took me to start enjoying the novel.
Had it not been for the fact that I had purchase the seven book box set, I most likely would have only continued on watching the show and not reading the books. Thankfully, I did have a physical copy of the next six books, and enjoyed every last bit of them.
To this date, I’ve read books one through eleven, and I can honestly say that this series is one of my all time favorites. Before this novel, I had never read an ‘adult fiction’ book, but I must say, even though I’m a YA lover all the way, I do now enjoy Adult Fiction just as much, thanks to this series.

Stay tuned for the next review in this series, book two Living Dead in Dallas.

xoxo – J