DauntlesslyDivergent

Jenn's Book Reviews

Hello lovelies! You can either call me Jenn or Jay, which ever you like. I'm a Canadian college student, currently studying Photography. I'm an avid book reader & writer, spending most of my free time either reading, writing or taking artistic photographs. Visit my other blog http://dauntlesslydivergent.wordpress.com/

The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games - Suzanne  Collins Katniss Everdeen is a strong young girl living in District 13 of Panem. After a tragic accident in the mines, her father was killed, leaving behind her mother, her younger sister Primrose, and herself to fend for themselves. Fortunately before his passing, Katniss' father thought her how to hunt for game in the forest on the other side of the electric fence, which is rarely powered, surrounding District 13. Hunting, no matter on the inside of the fence or not, is highly illegal.. Even though hunting is the main form of nutrition for the Everdeen family, Katniss still signs up for parsell; if you're between the ages of 12 and 17, you can receive grain from the Capitol. The only catch is you must enter your name additional times for the draw of being tribute for the annual Hunger Games, hosted by the Capitol themselves. Katniss had signed up for parsell many times while refusing to let her younger sister do the same. As of the age of 12 your name will be entered only once, and it will multiply each year until your 17, unless if you have taken parsell. Primrose is a young girl of 12, and the 74th annual Hunger Games will be the first with her name entered. Out of all odds, with her name in the draw only once, Primrose is chosen as tribute. Katniss refuses to let her younger sister enter the games and be kill, so she volunteers. Once the games begin, Katniss must fight to the death, where the motto 'kill or be killed' is one you must live by and take to heart while in the arena. So, let the games begin.
Happy Hunger Games and may the odds be ever in your favor.

It took me approximately one day to read the entire book, I was absolutely hooked. I did find that the first quarter of the books, where you're getting to know the characters before the games begin, was at times slow to read. I personally find that after the seen where the names are drawn, the story starts to pick up pace and becomes extremely interesting and intriguing, making me want more. From that point on, I was a sucker for this book. The story is very well written, filled with action, a beautiful background story, amazing characters and a touch of romance to wrap everything up. The Hunger Games became one of my all time favorite reads in the matter of hours. I highly suggest this book to anyone, whether you are an avid reader or not, even if you're not a fan of dystopian, I say you should give this book a shot. 5/5 stars.