DauntlesslyDivergent

Jenn's Book Reviews

Hello lovelies! You can either call me Jenn or Jay, which ever you like. I'm a Canadian college student, currently studying Photography. I'm an avid book reader & writer, spending most of my free time either reading, writing or taking artistic photographs. Visit my other blog http://dauntlesslydivergent.wordpress.com/

Crewel

Crewel - Gennifer Albin In all honesty, what first drew me to this book was it's cover. The first time I saw this book was on booktube and I found the cover and all it's colors so beautiful I had decided right then that I needed it to display on my bookshelf, even if I never read it. Pointless I know. Once at the book store I read the synopsis and was actually quite intrigued as to what the story was all about. Definitively SO HAPPY I took the dive and bought this book! It was AMAZING! I loved the concept of the Spinsters, who can weave time, reminding me a lot of fate (and the lore that says that these women, known as fate, can weave time and choose what is to happen, whether that be in the event of nature or in the lives of people.) My only complaint would be that I'd like if the world of Arras was explained better as well as how the world works with the Spinsters. Otherwise, such a good read! Loved every moment reading this novel. Can't wait to get my hands on the sequel!***Spoilers ahead!*** The novel itself revolves around the life of Adelice, who's a Spinster. At a certain age, girls are sent for testing to see whether or not they have the ability to weave, and if so go one to serve Arras in some for or another. At a young age, Adelice's parents caught her weaving time, therefor they began to train her to fail the testing she'd be required to do once she was in her teens. Even though Adelice's parents weren't out right rebels, they didn't agree with Arras Law and didn't want there daughter to be sent to serve them. Even after all her training, during testing Adelice slips up and weaves on the Loom supplied, something she's never done before. There is where Adelice's journey begins. She passes Spinsters training and it's discovered that she is actually a Creweler not a Spinster. Crewelers are so much more powerful, seeing as it's their job to retrieve the materials needed to weave, and they can also weave without a Loom. They're was keeps Arras alive and going. The shocking part of it all? After training with the Creweler, Adelice finds out Arras isn't actually real, it's basically an illusion. Arras was created out of science, a science that was discovered during total war on Earth. Turns out Arras is actually parallel to Earth, which is now cold and practically dead from the destruction of man during the war. Adelice's story end in Crewel with her, Jostlen & Erik, running from the bad of Arras, back to Earth. Now it's off to read the sequel to learn what happens next.